Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Pinch Pot creatures

This project was a favorite among my 5th graders this year. All of their pieces turned out great and students were able to learn and practice new clay skills.

Students began with a ball of clay which they then rolled and made very smooth. Then, they stuck their thumbs in their balls of clay to form pinch pots. Each student then took their pinch pot, turned it on its side, then scored and slipped features onto the pot to create creatures. This was a great creative outlet for the kids.


After the projects were bisqued, the students were then able to glaze their projects. They looked amazing when they came out of the last firing. This is a project I will keep for next year for sure.



This one lost his eye in the bisque firing. I glued it on later, after it was glazed


19 comments:

  1. Haha, awesome ! I bet you guys had a lot of fun :) ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want one! They are tooo cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Andrea! It is me Katelyn from Katelyn Miller Designs....I too am obsessed with J.Crew....I think it is my version of clothing heaven...I just joined your art blog...I teach an after school art class and will definitely look here for ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. they're so cute! I bet is real fun do do them!

    xx
    mariale

    myfashionbug.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are soooo fun! My husband is an elementary school art teacher and always looking for fun new ideas so I shared your blog with him.

    His blog for school is:
    http://riversideelementaryart.blogspot.com/
    If you want to check out what he is doing.

    Mine is:
    http://ladyleeinprocess.blogspot.com/

    But it's not about art projects, more about life. :)

    Anyway great blog and great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. such great ideas! i will have to try them with my siblings someday. thanks for the ideas!
    tobeperfectlybrunt.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aaaaaaaaaaaaa they are all sooooo awesome!!!I totally loooove them!!

    :-))

    ReplyDelete
  8. oooh, these are fabulous, haha ^^ so cute! x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha oh my! These are pretty awesome! They make me laugh :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fun job you have! I'm sure it has its challenges, but it sounds like a blast :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hahaha that would've been the best art project! I was always craving better art projects growing up, it wasn't till college where I was majoring in it, did I get that :(

    Love the monsters!

    ReplyDelete
  12. these are so cute, what a great project! happy i found your blog, btw :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is great! They must have had such a great time!

    ReplyDelete